Friday, April 18, 2014

Hello Friday!

Hi Everyone!

It's the weekend again and I'm thinking a few days are needed in the San Juan's. I love the islands so much, they are my ancestral homelands.




This is the ferry arriving at Orcas Island, home waters of the Orca Whales. Our tribe, the Samish Indian Nation has it's own pod, the J Pod. We had a beautiful naming ceremony last summer for our newest calf and we named him T'ilem I'nges (teelem eenges) meaning singing grandchild.



T'ilem I'nges

I feel so at peace when we are here I guess I'm just an island girl, I feel the same way about Maui too. There are many islands in this archipelago, but Orcas and Samish Island are my favorites.


Samish Island

We used to have a longhouse on Samish Island but it is not standing any longer. If you would like to learn more about our tribe and Coast Salish customs click here:samishtribe.nsn.us/samish-community/culture/





I have a few favorite places to eat around the islands. One is on Orcas and it's in a town called Olga to which the cafe is named after. Breakfasts at the Olga Cafe are simply delicious and filling. It's also a art gallery so while your waiting for your table you can enjoy the handwork of the local artists.





I really love Moran State Park for hiking, you can hike Mount Constitution easily. I can't wait until the weather warms when you can smell cedar, pine and fir mixed with blackberries in the air it's so fragrant! It's worth the effort for the scents and views.

          Another cafe I like to visit when I go back is Farm to Market in Bow, Washington, it's a tiny place with giant flavor. I love their pies and sandwiches. It's on the way to Samish Island and we often stop and grab our treats to go then find a secluded spot on Samish to nosh.




This photo of Farm To Market Bakery is courtesy of TripAdvisor


 I hope we never loose our local flavor that makes Cascadia so unique and special, we're just a bunch of NW hippies doing it our way.

                          
                                                 

                                                                   Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...